NHM/AE ONLINE ADVERTISING POLICIES
ONLINE ADVERTISING POLICY
Access Excellence (AE) is a bioscience and health education Web site owned and operated by the National Health Museum (NHM). To further NHM’s mission of making reliable health and bioscience information available to the public, Access Excellence may accept advertising and sponsorship under strict guidelines. We maintain a distinct separation between advertising content and editorial content and all content appearing on the site has been independently developed or acquired. All advertising content is clearly labeled as an advertisement. Sponsored areas of the site are labeled as such, and the sponsoring organizations are identified. We will refuse any advertisement that we believe is incompatible with our educational mission and standards. The presence of an ad on Access Excellence does not imply endorsement of the advertised company or product. Advertisers and sponsors must not make unsubstantiated health claims or suggest that NHM has endorsed a product. No advertisements related to the following are accepted on NHM’s sites: alcohol, tobacco products, firearms/fireworks, pornography, sweepstakes, gambling, politics, social causes or religion.
ONLINE ADVERTISING CRITERIA AND GUIDELINES
NHM’s Advertising Criteria and Guidelines are intended to provide general guidance. They are not inclusive or exhaustive and are subject to change at the discretion of NHM at any time.
General Criteria that must be met to allow the company to advertise/sponsor include:
- Advertisement must not make a health claim for its product that is not clearly substantiated.
- Advertisers may be required to submit supporting documentation to substantiate claims.
- No implication of endorsement by NHM of product or advertiser may be made.
- NHM retains final right of approval for all sponsor/product messages, banners and advertising copy proposed or served.
- The advertisement, advertising icons and company logos must be displayed in such a way that they clearly are not part of the NHM site content.
- NHM reserves the right to reject, cancel or remove at any time any advertisement for any reason. In such a case, NHM will provide prompt notice to the advertiser, together with an explanation.
- No unsolicited commercial messages are allowed.
- Collecting and selling mailing lists without the users’ expressed permission is not allowed.
- The full rules for any market research or promotion must be displayed or linked to.
- Advertising programs, advertisers and agencies cannot collect any personally identifiable information from NHM visitors or place any cookies, applets or other such files — if those files transmit any personally identifiable information to the advertisers or agencies — on computers of NHM visitors who do not visit advertisers’ sites by clicking on ad banners.
Advertising that may be allowed, provided certain criteria are met includes:
- Corporate image advertising or corporate sponsorship
- Nonmedical or non-health-related consumer products and services
- Consumer products with a potential health connection
- Over-the-counter medications
- Prescription drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration
- Fitness products or services
- Medical products or devices
- Pharmacies (retail and online)
Advertising that is prohibited includes:
- Tobacco products
- Political ads
- Social cause ads
- Religious ads
- Comparative advertising (no mention of competitive brand names within an ad banner)
Advertising formats that are prohibited include:
- Pop-ups and floating ads or surveys
- Ads that have forms within them to collect personally identifiable information while a visitor
is on an NHM site